Tired of dorm room living? Ready to make the move off campus? When looking for the perfect apartment, be sure to ask yourself or your potential landlord the following questions:
- How much is the security deposit? What is required to receive the deposit back when the lease ends?
- Are utilities included in the rent and which ones? (Gas, electric, water, trash removal, etc.)
- Will you need a cosigner for the lease? Do you have a parent or guardian willing to do so?
- Is the apartment close to public transportation or within walking distance to your classes?
- Is the apartment furnished? If so, what is included when you move in?
- Is parking available? If there is off-street parking, will you be able to easily find a space?
- Are pets allowed? Are additional fees or security deposits necessary?
- Is there a secure entrance into the building? Is the area well lit?
- Is there a buzzer or intercom system for when guests arrive?
- Are there enough electrical outlets in each room? Do they accommodate plugs with three prongs?
- Do ceiling tiles, cabinets, sinks, floors, or windows display any signs of leaking?
- Is there a laundry room? If not, where is the closest Laundromat?
- Is there air conditioning? If not, are there enough windows or ceiling fans to keep the area well ventilated in the summer months?
To get started, visit our Student Housing page!